Never forget, even for an instant, that the one and only reason anybody has for taking your gun away is to make you weaker than he is, so he can do something to you that you wouldn't allow him to do if you were equipped to prevent it. This goes for burglars, muggers, and rapists, and even more so for policemen, bureaucrats, and politicians.
--Alexander Hope

Stuck on Roof for Katrina

Monday, January 26, 2009

The Lifestyle

The Lifestyle…..
Prepping for survival is definitely a lifestyle. You live it. There is always something to do. I made the decision about a year ago to raise rabbits for meat. In a disaster when everything’s down you need a meat source. But with that is a daily chore that has to be done.EVERYDAY,rain or shine. When I have litters that means twice a day. After 10 to 12 weeks it’s harvest time, more work. Skinning, butchering, vacuum sealing & labeling. I usually have at least 2 litters at a time with a total of 6 Breeder does. I sell a few to defray the cost of hay & feed. I keep my meat in a 12cu ft chest freezer. In a Grid down situation I have 2 alternate power sources. A 5500 watt generator that I can pretty much power up the house with & 2 large Tractor Trailer Batteries & 1500 watt inverter. I also have 4 15-gallon drums full of stabilized gas stashed for this. So I should be good for quit some time with proper gas management. I also add bargain buys of chicken, ground meat & pork. If I’m lucky I’ll have some deer meat also. I think this will sustain 3 people for a good while..well speaking of rabbits I need to go say hi to my girls so that’s it for now…..

No comments:

Post a Comment