Never forget, even for an instant, that the one and only reason anybody has for taking your gun away is to make you weaker than he is, so he can do something to you that you wouldn't allow him to do if you were equipped to prevent it. This goes for burglars, muggers, and rapists, and even more so for policemen, bureaucrats, and politicians.
--Alexander Hope

Stuck on Roof for Katrina

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Freezer setup for solar chargedBattery Backup



Since I am a Refrigeration mechanic by trade there is no reason I should go with out refrigeration at any time.I found that a chest freezer is superior to a domestic fridge/freezer combo in energy used. I also found that some people have experimented with using different thermostats to use them as a refrigerator.After some research I found this lil beauty at the local supply house for 50 bucks. I had to supply a power cord with a male end to power it up.I am going to also have another cord attached with a female end and then I can use it with any box without cutting up the wiring to the different boxes..I have high hopes for this set up.The Freezer uses about 1 amp.I have a 150 amp hour battery setup in the shed with a 750 watt inverter.Also charging with a 90 watt solar panel set up.This is separate from the 1500 watt 240 a/h setup for the house.I will be hooking it up and testing it to see if it is self sustaining or how long I have before I have to take other measures.The freezer runs about 20 minutes per hr while set up as a freezer but used as a fridge it runs much less maybe 5 minutes a hour. If things work out energy wise for a substantial savings I may go with this type setup all the time.I will post results and pic's as this project progresses.
Prep for the future .It's right around the corner

1 comment:

  1. Very cool Rhino, I look forward to your review of performance!

    ReplyDelete