Never forget, even for an instant, that the one and only reason anybody has for taking your gun away is to make you weaker than he is, so he can do something to you that you wouldn't allow him to do if you were equipped to prevent it. This goes for burglars, muggers, and rapists, and even more so for policemen, bureaucrats, and politicians.
--Alexander Hope

Stuck on Roof for Katrina

Saturday, October 1, 2011

Working on meat stash for the coming rough times




As part of my self sufficiency plan now that the weather is cooling off a bit it is time to get some rabbits breeding and get some meat in the freezer.I just harvested my first litter of 4 month old bunnies and it was a nice addition to my freezer stash.I will breed 2 does for now and once those litters are about a month old I'll breed 2 more and that should get me way ahead of the game for getting stocked up for next hurricane season. I still have about a dozen left from last year after a couple of grilling sessions and treating some friends who are fond of my furry lil friends.
The cooler weather will also break loose the fishing in my friends 2 ponds so I will try and load up on those Tomorrow and the next couple of weekends.Last I checked fish was going for 5 or 6 bucks a pound so this will be a great help on the pocketbook.I love Perch and I know these aren't contaminated like the fish in the gulf or the pearl river that is recovering from a chemical spill a month or so ago.That's if they even have any fish left after the fish kill.
I noticed that Boston Butt pork roast is on sale at Rouse's for a buck a pound so I will stop and buy 20 or 30 lbs on the way home.
Well that's it for now .Don't be left out Get a Plan And get to it.............

1 comment:

  1. Rabbit is good lean protein. I don't have a lot of freezer space in the rental digs so am relying on the vast stores of rice/beans/grain if things go south. I know how to field dress and prep my own deer so that may come in handy.

    ReplyDelete